This article will lead you through the steps of making a film. It goes into great detail breaking down each stage of the filmmaking process. It will show you how to prepare and be organized in making a film.
Producing a film, whether it is a short-film or a feature-film, is a mammoth task. To help reduce the stress and confusion of filmmaking, you need to learn how a film is made so you can be organized and prepared which is the secret to a successful filmmaker.
How a film is made
To simplify the task of making a film, you need to break the production down into 4 stages:
- Pre-Production – preparation to shoot the film.
- Production – shooting the film
- Post Production – editing the film
- Marketing – Promoting and screening your film
We then break down each production stage into tasks which will help you to be organized each step of the way in making a film.
Step 1 Pre-Production
- Write the screenplay/script
- Breakdown the script (locations, characters, props, effects)
- Casting (choosing your actors)
- Scouting for locations
- Determine what production equipment, props and effects will be needed for each scene as per the script scene breakdown
- Finding your crew who will help shoot the film
- Working out a schedule to shoot the film in the shortest amount of time
Step 2 Production
shoot the film as per the shooting schedule
Step 3 Post-Production
- Editing the image and sound of footage
- Add sound effects
- Composer creates music score for film
- Final sound mix and format (e.g. mono, stereo or surround sound)
Step 4 Marketing
Screen and promote your film at film festivals
You have now learned the 4 steps to filmmaking. I will be writing articles taking you through each step from pre-production to marketing so you can be prepared and organized when making your films.
Add a comment for any questions or suggestions